This program is open to adults and young adults and will include a video presentation followed by a small group study. We will meet the first Thursday of the month in Dodd Hall from 7 – 9. We will end in the Spring. You do not need to commit to all meetings! Please come when you can. Guests are welcome; you do not need to be a member/friend of this community.
Through this program, Father Richard Rohr will introduce an orthodoxy lost to much of contemporary Christianity, an orthodoxy rooted in Franciscan theology and practice, an orthodoxy biblically grounded, personally challenging and ultimately liberating. We will be exploring five topics central to Franciscan theology and practice:
- Atonement Theory (group met October 4, 2018)
- The Christ who existed before Christianity;
- Orthopraxy vs. Verbal Orthodoxy (Living Like Jesus); and
- Mysticism over Moralism.
Father Rohr sends a daily meditation email. In 2016, over two weeks, he provided a summary of the Alternative Orthodoxy.
- The first meeting group discussed the Atonement Theory. Many people know this as “Jesus died for our sins.” Through the program Embracing an Alternative Orthodoxy by Franciscan priest, writer, and teacher Richard Rohr, we discussed:
- At-One-Ment, Not Atonement
- Atonement theories:
At the heart of the October discussion, we examined this thought: Jesus did not come to change the mind of God about humanity (it did not need changing)! Jesus came to change the mind of humanity about God.